Rejoice, Rejoice. We Have No Choice, But to Carry On

Pretend it's 1992 - you can almost hear Jerry Seinfeld saying it - What's the deal with this whole Covid-19 thing? 

What is the deal? 

In mid-February (a mere two and a half months ago!), we were with friends in Mexico, celebrating my birthday. Tonight, that feels like seven years ago. I can recall at the time hearing more and more about the coronavirus in China - more than I was comfortable hearing. But still, it all felt like nothing I'd have to be too concerned about. You know, they'll get it under control. Right? Can't get here. Not to worry. March Madness is coming up.

Right?

Now I look at the calendar and realize Friday is May 1st. 

MAY DAY!

Seems appropriate. And no, I'm not thinking baskets with goodies delivered to your doorstep, I'm thinking ejecting from the plane before the fiery crash. That kind of May Day. 

I hope you're doing well and hanging in there. 

My compromised immune system certainly has me anxious these days, but I'm doing fine - eating well, running more, sleeping at night. Being cautious. Sheltering in place, like a good Minnesotan should. 

There's something else though. Lately, it seems I'm angry, or on the verge of anger more than I care to admit - way more than anyone ever should be. It's that looking-to-pick-a-fight mentality, that DeNiroesque, Taxi Driver (...you talkin' to ME?) attitude. 

I'm displeased with the cyclists who insist on biking in the added pedestrian lane on the River Road, despite signs that clearly state the lane is for pedestrians.

I do a killer eye-roll at the site of emails from corporate CEOs telling me we're all in this together and that they've been on the front lines of the telecommunications business for nearly 30 years. 

Please.

I gasp when reading about conspiracy theorists who are convinced a global pandemic was all cooked up by the far left just to stick it to Trump in November. That makes me want to shoot up some righteous disinfectant.

Although (thankfully) there have been few distance-learning meltdowns, they have been akin to molten lava flowing throughout the house, from the inner core of a frustrated second grader - and it is ghastly. 

So the anger or near anger thing needs to stop. For me. There are millions of other people out there these days who are taking care of that, thank you. They truly are on the front lines of anger. 

Leave it to music to straighten me out. I was driving home this afternoon when Stephen Stills' fabulous Carry On came on the radio. He's right, you know - to sing the blues you've got to live the dues. The lyric hit me right in the mouth. 

Rejoice. Rejoice. 

We have no choice.

But to carry on. 







Comments

MaryF said…
Thanks for saying what I've been thinking, Ward.

Popular Posts